Saturday, June 7, 2008

Holy Crap!

I just bought a one-way ticket to Hanoi!


I've been doing research, and getting rid of stuff, and taking classes, and talking to people about this for months, but now it seems real. I've really been looking forward to this for a long time, but now I'm actually really excited.

As I've been doing research, I've come to the conclusion that I would rather find a volunteer position in Vietnam than a regular teaching job. It seems like it would be a better fit for me, and I'm hoping to do some more volunteer work in the future, so why not now?

I found a guy through idealist.org that is connecting me with a volunteer position in a school in or near Hanoi that would take care of my lodging for me. After I booked the flight I could let him know when I'll be arriving so we can get the ball rolling on work papers and that sort of thing. It's a relief to move from just thinking and talking about this trip to actually making it happen.

And on the other hand, it's also a little scary. Mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing. For instance, I have a lay over in Taipei. Where's Taipei? I've gotten pretty comfortable being a competent and confident person, and this whole things just blows all of that out of the water. This is good. I think this is just what I need right now.

Now, I'm going to look up Taipei...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you are in the 6th row. Are they counting from the front or the back?
We'll miss you man.
Dave

zim said...

dude, Hanoi is awesome. just remember that you can't cross the big streets in one go. take a couple steps, stop. take a couple steps, stop. and so on.

they will go around you.