Friday, October 24, 2008

T-shirts

I've started collecting pictures of shirts with weird things written on them in English. It started when I saw a guy walking along the lake in my neighborhood wearing an orange t-shirt with big block letters that said "PINK GAL". That's when I knew I had to start documenting this phenomenon.

English is often used as a design element without regard to what it actually says. Kind of like the random "Chinese" you might see on a sports bike or a poorly thought out tattoo, where the owner isn't necessarily sure what it actually means, or if it means anything at all.

This shirt was in one of my classes today.
"Popular Chemical Element Loneliness" So there are how many elements now? It seems like they're always discovering new ones. I can't keep track.

This one is a little hard to read, but it says, "SPORT- UPPER BOY LIKE". Not quite sure what to make of that.

I've seen a few shirts that have pretty clear suggestions."We suggest the premium sporting". But of course. I would have no other kind.

The front of this one is pretty straight forward. "Kid's Nature" could be a brand I guess. Though, it also mysteriously says "KLW" in the corner.On the back it says, "Let's walk in a hurry like me!"This poor kid is going to grow up paranoid that people are chasing him.

I like PowerPoint as much as the next guy, so I was excited to see that they're releasing a new version called "Super Storm". I guess they've finally figured out how to incorporate police dogs into the software, which will be a big improvement. This one goes into the generally confusing category. It says, "Never tasted, Pop Up, Cutie Friends, Bow! Wow!" I'm not sure exactly what it's all supposed to mean, but it makes me want toaster pastries.This one makes perfect sense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You probably should send those pics here:

http://engrishfunny.com/

Glory!


Ron K.