Wednesday, July 16, 2008

road trip post for Monday 7/14

Monday morning, Tim and me wandered around the Castro looking for a California sticker for my bike.


We went to a little Vietnamese coffee shop and I got some pho. It's a Vietnamese noodle dish that Americans tend to call “foh” - like “oh”, but I've heard differently. So I asked the guy how to pronounce it and he said it a lot more like “fuh” - as in “uh”. So that's what I'm going with. Apparently Vietnamese people eat it for breakfast or any old time. I got it vegetarian style, with tofu, but they guy told me that beef is big in Hanoi. My pronunciation question launched a 10 minute conversation and I was worried that it was going to get cold before I ever had a chance to taste it. Really nice guy.

I found my new sticker at the HRC store, let Tripp the dog inspect it for me...

and got on the road. I wanted to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, and Tim tipped me off to a good place to get a good shot of it. I would up the hill and found the spot. I had climbed quite a bit but I still had to look up to see the top of the bridge. It was a little foggy, but you could still see the city beyond the bridge.

It wasn't too far to Sacramento, where Saffron found me after her rehearsal.


We spent the evening taking in the sites of Sacramento. There's the capitol...

And a big mall with things like, a place to purchase jeans...

...enjoy a meal in the food court...
...and teach your children to kill aliens and/or zombies...
We saw Hancock in the movie theater (which was really lame) and called it a night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to go into business with my Vietnamese Buddy here at work on a Vietnamese Coffee Shop and call it Pho Q.
And then of course the one we open across town would be called...
Pho Q II.
I can tell bad jokes in several languages and dialects.
-ravin-